The UnBroken Podcast is a call to action to create a different direction, dialogue, and narrative for your life. Dr Rachel Taylor explores the power of storytelling and the importance of controlling your narrative in this episode, sponsored by A Podcast Company.
We use stories to construct realities and illusions, convey meanings, and help ourselves make sense of what’s going on in our lives. We also use them to gain a sense of belonging, Dr Rachel shares. From a neuroscientific lens, when we identify with a story, our brain produces oxytocin which is traditionally viewed as the bonding or love hormone.
Humans are instinctively driven towards searching for meaning, according to Viktor Frankl – when we do not have meaning, we suffer. When we add a narrative structure to our real life experiences with a story, we gain a sense of what our purpose is, and how we can grow best from our suffering.
- Defining and understanding storytelling.
- Man’s search for purpose, and how it intersects with stories.
- Deconstructing the stories you’re drawn to.
- Becoming your own screenwriter.
- Challenging stories that lead to harmful outcomes.
- We use stories to construct realities and illusions, convey meanings, and help ourselves make sense of what’s going on in our lives.
- When we do not have meaning, we suffer.
- We need to take notice of the narrative we have of ourselves.